India is home to the second-largest number of producers engaged in our sustainability management systems. Therefore, having a local presence was a must to provide on-the-ground support and empower both our members and producers in the country.
In 2016, Natasha Mehta Majumdar was appointed as India representative. With her team they support producers in India with the implementation of sustainable management systems and also connect with member representatives and stakeholders in the region.
During 2017, we initiated member meetings which provided a unique opportunity for those companies with a presence in the country to engage with each other and receive customised support. We have also significantly increased capacity building workshops for producers in India with attendance numbers doubling since last year.
With the backdrop of the Indian law on ‘Sexual Harassment of Women at Workplace' we recently held two events aimed at raising awareness on the issue of preventing sexual harassment in supply chains in India.
- New Guidance on Sexual Harassment of Women for Indian Producers (26/6/2019)
- India Takes Proactive Stance on Climate Change (29/5/2019)
- EU-India Cooperation in Trade and Sustainable Development (12/3/2019)
- Register your Indian Producers for Women’s Empowerment Workshops (8/3/2018)
- New Guidelines for Indian Textile Industry Released (4/2/2019)