Job title: Research & Development (R&D) Expert: Sustainability
At amfori we believe in a world where all trade delivers social, environmental and economic benefits for everyone. We call this Trade with Purpose.
As the leading global business association for open and sustainable trade, we bring together over 2,300 retailers, importers, brands and national associations representing a combined turnover of more than one trillion euros.
We offer our members a practical framework and world-class tools that enable them to manage the social and environmental performance of their supply chains and anticipate trends. We also advocate for progressive policy and collaborate with high-level stakeholders to achieve common aims.
Our work enables organisations to enhance human prosperity, use natural resources responsibly and drive open trade globally. These are major challenges across the world which require a collaborative effort to tackle. So, while our members can’t solve them on their own, together we can influence and drive positive change at scale.
Read more about amfori's mission, vision and values.
About the role
As R&D Expert Sustainability at amfori you will be responsible for:
Supporting the work of the Strategy and Innovation team of amfori. Strategy and Innovation drives the evolution of the sustainability service portfolio of amfori based on cutting-edge sustainability expertise, user-needs assessment and sound project management practices.
- Research or review social and environmental sustainability regulations and market trends, compliance standards, analytics and reports to provide insights for the development of the S&I innovation portfolio.
- Based on market and user needs assessment, propose and design innovative sustainability projects, considering factors such as demand, resources, cost-benefit, technical feasibility and impact
- Develop project goals, objectives, execution strategy and action plans in collaboration with other sustainability experts.
- Provide subject matter expertise and lead the conceptual development, piloting and evaluation of innovation projects or project components, including but not limited to sustainability monitoring, sustainability reporting, sustainability performance improvement.
- Develop guidelines, policies and procedures for amfori members, supply chains businesses and service providers (auditors, sustainability consultants)
- Liaise with internal and external stakeholders (members, businesses, academia, NGOs, international organizations) in public consultations, awareness raising initiatives and working groups
- Develop “go to market” strategies for S&I innovation projects and facilitate the hand over to the operational teams of amfori and their service providers
- Assist the development of business requirements to integrate S&I innovation project in the IT platforms of amfori, including definition of business rules, sustainability and performance KPIs and identification of relevant data points
- Design sustainability services that are market relevant, reflect robust sustainability practices and have positive RoI for amfori
- Manage time-bound sustainability projects ensuring result-oriented and efficient execution
- Contribute to build within the S&I team the highest level of knowledge and know-how on sustainability and corporate due diligence
- Master’s degree in social studies, political science, international relations, labour or human rights law or related fields
- At least 4 year of working experience in supply chain sustainability consultancies, sustainability schemes or certification (e.g. SMETA, SA8000, UTZ), or corporate social responsibility departments with focus on human rights due diligence, risk assessment and reporting
- Working knowledge of international sustainability regulations and business initiative (amongst other UN Guiding Principles on Business and Human Rights; ILO’s Declaration on Fundamental Principles and Rights at Work), and international organizations active in social and environmental sustainability
- High familiarity with project management techniques, preferably agile project planning and management
- Strong analytical and data analysis capacities
- Ability and interest to work with IT tools and contribute to the development of amfori database and analytics
- Sector specific expertise or experience with specific product categories is an asset (e.g. food, DIY, garment, plastics)
- Proficiency in English
- Permanent contract
- Remuneration package, which includes lunch vouchers, group insurance, DKV hospital and dental insurance and contribution to public transportation for commute to work.
- Possible travel within Europe; and
- An exciting international environment located in the heart of Brussels.
Due to the current COVID-19 situation, the candidate would work from home until at least 31 May 2021. After then, they would be expected to work from amfori’s main office in Brussels
How to apply
To apply send your CV and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org mentioning R&D Expert Sustainability in the subject line. Application deadline is 15 May 2021.