- amfori announces key governance change at the organisation.
- Christian Ewert steps down from his role as President. His tenure will come to an end on 9 June 2021.
- During his seven-year tenure, he dynamically led the global transformation of amfori, enlarged the organisation’s membership beyond Europe and grew the association to almost 2,500 members.
amfori President Christian Ewert has announced on Friday 9 April his intention to step down as leader of the international business association, effective from 9 June 2021.
During his seven-year tenure, Christian has distinguished himself as a committed and enthusiastic leader, who ushered a new era of growth and transformation at the organisation.
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, while international trade was significantly disrupted, he remained a responsible and stable leader for amfori and leaves a resilient organisation. Some of his key achievements include:
- Global restructuring and rebranding of amfori around a coherent vision of “Trade with Purpose”
- Clear strategy to enable businesses to support the SDGs of the United Nations by 2030
- Enlargement of the membership in the Americas, Oceania and notably in Asian markets
- Dynamic growth of the organisation to almost 2,500 members worldwide
- Strengthening amfori’s reputation with global partners such as UN, the EU and industry
The board as well as the organisation have great respect and gratitude for his achievements. Herman Poelmann, chairperson of amfori, expresses a strong appreciation for Christian’s dedication during his tenure:
“With Christian’s duty and expertise over these years, amfori is on the right track to provide more tools and services to create impact and support all our members around the world. I would like to personally thank him, on behalf of the amfori board, staff and membership, for his commitment and enthusiasm each and every day.”
At the helm of the organisation, Christian guided the organisation’s transformation as a global advocate and service provider for sustainable supply chains. Christian reflects on the growth and energy he has brought to the organisation:
“Together with the amfori team, I am proud to have transformed the association as a powerful advocate for people, planet and prosperity. We have succeeded in communicating these values within the organisation and with our stakeholders. amfori is now recognised as a reliable and knowledgeable partner by EU and global institutions, and as a driving force for complex challenges like the SDGs but also on the necessity to push for Human Rights Due Diligence and gender equality. To all of this I have contributed with great commitment, passion and enthusiasm, as the mission of amfori has always been an inspiration to me. I feel honoured to have had the opportunity to lead such a committed family of members and employees during this time.”
Christian Ewert will remain President of amfori until 9 of June. An interim President will be appointed shortly to ensure the association’s business continuity while seeking a new President.
amfori remains committed to its members, objectives for 2021 and the years to come. Together, we will continue to build a more sustainable world for people, planet and prosperity. We achieve this by advocating and delivering on our vision of Trade with Purpose together.